It’s all about how you live! We discuss our core value of having a sacrificial attitude toward money and living a moderate lifestyle.
What do you devote to money? What does the Bible instruct concerning money?
Stewards – of God’s mysteries (1 corinthians 4:1) and Grace (Ephesians 3:2; 1 Peter 4:10)
We are not instructed, in scripture, to be stewards of money.
Sacrificial attitude towards money AND living a moderate lifestyle. You need to have both.
- Moderate lifestyle is easier to sustain; not self-serving; not controlled by fads; and focuses on contentment, which brings great riches
- Sacrifical attitude towards money is necessary to not be controlled by it, and also to avoid focusing on what you’re doing without and waiting for it to be returned to you. Focuses the use of your resources on the Kingdom.
- The Good Samaritan wasn’t concerned with his stuff, he was concerned with the hurting person.
Isaiah 58 – Lifestyle of Fasting
Want vs Need
- Matthew 6 – God supplies needs. Your stuff will get stolen.
- Luke 12:13-21 Storing up even more stuff for your self. Is this verse the epitome of the American dream?
Luke 17:5-10 requirements for servants
Is living a meager lifestyle even biblical, considering the wealthy and powerful people in Scripture?
- Joseph was a true steward – none of it was his stuff; he served his master well; never sought vengeance
- Abraham – Started by leaving everything and walking by faith; all he had was setting the stage for the patriarchs; he was not greedy.
- David – David’s attitude was: it’s God’s throne, He can put whoever He wants on it. David’s wealth was laying foundation for Israel as a nation and for building the temple.
- All three were in tune with what God was doing at that time.
- Jesus instructs His disciples to give up riches. “Riches” refers to wealth in the Old Testament but riches of Christ in the New Testament, except for 4 verses which warn against wealth.
The live broadcast of this episode included the songs:
“All Creatures” by Josh Garrels https://joshgarrels.bandcamp.com/track/all-creatures
“Wishing Well” by The Oh Hellos http://music.theohhellos.com/track/wishing-well
This episode originally broadcast live on May 15, 2015 on KXEN 1010AM in St. Louis, MO
For more info: